Saturday, July 23, 2011

What's all the Squawking About?


The other day I was reading in the GDN about a women that found an injured parrot on her porch. There was all kind of speculation on where it might have come from and a discussion on the various parrot colonies located throughout the area. 

As I'm sure many of you know - we have a parrot colony on Avenue S, living in the date palms in front of the old police station/animal shelter. To be honest, I've never gotten a good look at any of them. BUT there's no mistaking that distinctive "squawk." We usually roll down our windows if we don't make the light at 53rd St. It's always a little aggravating when Sharon says, with enthusiasm - "there's one!" Sure, from the passenger side window you get a clear view but from the driver's side you can't see "squawk." I almost rear-ended a guy the other day, trying to catch a glimpse of these illusive birds.

For a long time now I've been meaning to ride my bike down S to get a really good look at our local parrots with my binoculars but just haven't gotten around to it. Then - to my surprise, I received an email from a friend with 2 attached pics of the birds. I don't know enough about parrots to tell if they're Quackers, like the one mentioned in the GDN story but they look similar.

Be sure to check them out next time you're cruising S to avoid Seawall traffic.