Thursday, April 04, 2013

Chickens, Gardens and Bikes...

You know the weather is funky when - at 4:00 in the afternoon, I opted for a cup of hot tea rather than a cold Miller Lite. Mother nature just can’t seem to make up her mind if it's spring or not. But at least we've gotten some much needed rain out of the deal.

Here on the home front, our garden is finally planted and I have moved on to a number of projects that have been languishing over these last few months. The biggest of these projects has been the construction of a Chicken Ark. Yep – I’ve finally made the decision to get some chickens. Something I've wanted to do for a long time. The Ark is a hybrid design with emphasis on predator prevention. No chickens yet but I’ll keep you posted.


Speaking of chickens...
Last weekend was the Galveston Island Chicken Shack Strut - one of the most enjoyable events we’ve attended in a long time. The weather started off a little “iffy” but it turned out to be a beeee-u-ti-ful day! We rode our bikes (along with lots of other folks) to the in-town tour stops. Each location was interesting and unique. Although chickens were the center attraction, almost every location also had some kind of a garden or interesting landscape. It was the perfect combination – chickens, gardens and bikes!

I'm not much of a photographer but here are a few pics from the Strut…










Even a goat at Deborah's Garden...
I heard through the grapevine that over 200 tickets were sold. Great job Alicia!

Lastly, kudos to Pris Files and the Galveston Island Tree Conservancy, for the Blue Trees event. I must admit, when I first heard about the Blue Trees I was - well lets say "skeptical."  However, after meeting the artist and several enthusiastic volunteers I was a convert. Plus, they look REALLY COOL! That's what makes Galveston such a great place to live. One day you're out painting trees and the next, touring chicken coops.