Thursday, August 25, 2011

Moonshine Vodka...

This long, hot, dry summer has been a real challenge for landscape gardeners. I've basically decided to "give up" and wait until the weather breaks to start actively gardening again.

The problem is - that leaves me with a little too much free time on my hands. This often leads to strange, costly projects that rarely receive the approval of my wife.

So here's my latest whacked out idea. Making homemade vodka, whiskey or rum (product yet to be determined). My original thought was potato vodka. Why? Because potatoes are cheap and - did I mention this - I'm bored!

So, like any project, I started researching the topic. To my surprise there is a ton of info out there on making moonshine. You can even make a homemade still pretty easily from materials available at Home Depot. 

While conducting my in-depth research, I also ran across this video. That's what sealed the deal!!! These guys are my heroes AND definitely role models for Galveston Island. Substitute Hawaiian Shirts for the overalls and flip flops for boots and I think they'd be right at home here in G-ton.



My moonshine project is awaiting formal approval from Sharon. It's in the queue with my shrimp boat project and my homemade airplane project. I'll keep yall updated on progress towards any of these worthy efforts.